New building consents are on the rise in Hawke's Bay, giving local builders confidence the industry is regaining momentum.
Statistics New Zealand figures show 50 consents for new dwellings were issued in Hawke's Bay last November, compared to 41 in 2011.
Jennian Homes Hawke's Bay managing director Richard Catley said new builds were definitely on the rise.
"We do do some renovation work but the proportion of that has probably moved to new builds."
Mr Catley said from June last year onwards he noticed a definite increase in work, which had remained consistent.
"You'd get say two sales a month on average which is getting back to where we were in 2008."
Movement in the second-hand home market with new buyers seeking to secure their first home was pushing everyone up the property ladder, increasing demand for new builds, he said.
New building consents were worth $124 million to the Hawke's Bay economy in the 12 months to November 30, 2012 - $11 million in November alone.
Nationally, more than 1500 new residential buildings were consented during November - worth $524 million.
Statistics New Zealand industry and labour spokesman Blair Cardno said since the most recent low point in March 2011, growth in newly consented houses had risen steadily, continuing a 20-month trend.
Canterbury led the November increase with 171 more newly consented houses than a year ago. Earthquake-related building consents in Canterbury totalled $59 million for the month.
The value of all building consents last November was $1.05 billion, up 15 per cent year-on-year.
Home improvements spurred by building reality shows and New Year's resolutions rocketed in the first week of 2013, according to online trades staff database Builderscrack.co.nz APNZ