Zac Guildford has apologised for his behaviour in Rarotonga last week, saying he is embarrassed and wants to return to New Zealand to seek help.
Guildford issued a statement from the Cook Islands, following his alleged drunken and naked spree in a bar last week which witnesses said involved him assaulting two people.
In his statement, issued by the New Zealand Rugby Union, Guildford said:
``Firstly, I would like to apologise for my behaviour here in Rarotonga on Thursday night. I have no clear recollection of the events of that night but there is no doubt that my behaviour was unacceptable and I am hugely embarrassed by what happened.
``I want to apologise to the people who I was involved with and offended that night, the patrons and staff who witnessed my behaviour, and the Cook Island people. I am truly sorry for what I did.
``I also want to apologise to my family for the embarrassment my actions have caused.
``I don't want any sympathy for the situation I have ended up in, but I am thankful for the support I have received so far from so many people. It's obvious that I need help and I want to get home and to get that help as soon as I can. I need to sort myself out.''
The 22-year-old All Blacks and Crusaders wing is likely to face misconduct charges on his return following this latest incident in a series of problems concerning Guildford and alcohol.
While the NZRU said it would help him, he is also likely to be facing a fine and/or suspension.